SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN.

This is a brief post.

Those who follow events in Jersey will know by now that the child protection disaster has become even more appaling.

The States of Jersey Police Force have recovered what they believe to be the remains of a child, buried within the old Jersey children’s “home” – Haute de la Garrene.

The early indications, as expressed by the Police, are that they may find further remains.

The work of the Police – which I cannot praise highly enough – will run its course – and the truth ‘will-out’ this time – even in Jersey.

For the present, I am thinking of the victims – how lost, betrayed and abandoned they were in their hour of need; how failed by our society.

Those who survived – and those who did not.

That the suffering and disregard of these little ones can have continued – largely undisclosed and unpunished – for decades – shows that something has gone very wrong with our society and our system of government. It is a disastrous failure to have in place effective checks and balances which has led to this catastrophe.

Can the polity of Jersey learn its lessons – and change?

I hope so.

But I fear not.

Even today – Jersey’s political leader, Senator Frank Walker – still fails to grasp the horrifying magnitude of what has taken place – and what it says about our government.

So divorced from any grasp of the truth – of reality – is this man, that he accuses me of making this disaster a ‘political’ issue.

This is the diametric opposite of the truth – as is shown by the evidence.

As the facts show – it was no decision, or wish of mine, to make this tragic and wretched episode a “political” matter.

That decision was his and that of his Council of Ministers. It was theirs alone – when they decided to have me sacked for whistle-blowing – and the heinous “offence” of “Undermining Staff Moral”.

That is what actually happened. It is well-evidenced.

Yet here is Jersey’s political leader still demonstrating a truly startling aversion to the facts – the truth.

When this is the culture of power in Jersey; when our “leaders” can so blithely turn away from the documented facts – can we really assume child protection to be safe and reliable today – in our island?

I don’t believe we can. For until the island’s establishment begin to understand the importance of the truth – of honesty – of the acknowledgment of things which have gone wrong – we are forced to assume that the culture of cover-up and concealment remains.

Stuart Syvret.

21 thoughts on “SUFFER THE LITTLE CHILDREN.

1. Survivor

Thank goodness for the light of truth that shines from you Stuart into the dark and hidden corners of this island.

I believe that there are many a buried victim of abuse on this island. Whether physically or metaphorically.

Heres to the unveiling of all concealed tragedy & god bless the victims who have suffered in silence for too long.

2. Simon

I’m a reader in the north of England who’s never even thought about politics in Jersey before tonight and all I can say is, what a truly awful way for your stance to be vindicated.

This case will be huge news and all my best wishes go to you in what will be something of aa roller coaster – and as a lifelong anarchist I don’t often offer good wishes to politicians 😉

3. TonyB

Who was in charge of the home at the time?
    How did this happen?
    What happened to records? Can we tell if anyone went missing?
    What politicians were supposed to be overseeing this, and what civil servants?
    To what degree were they negligent by today’s standards?
    Could it happen today? If not, why did it happen then, and what has been rectified today?
    Are there weaknesses like this in today’s system?
    “There’s no suggestion that this is a current problem whatsoever, and I do believe that children today in Jersey are safe from this type of abuse.” said the Chief Minister.

His words would carry more weight if we knew the answers to those questions. Until then, it is just reassuring PR, designed to soothe the public concern.

4. thwobble

Dear Mr Syvret,

Having read your posts on the state of Jersey, I have come to realise that living in the UK is not such a bad thing after all, despite the NuLabour clowns that govern us. What do the “ordinary” people of Jersey feel about all this – are they interested at all, are they angry – indeed, angry enough to actually do something about it?

Ian Dickson
    Brighton UK

5. Marc Mitchell

The entire island is behind you Stuart. simple as.. if you find a time amongst the current media chaos to read this we just want you to know, we are right behind you., as you say in the words of dylan, “when you have nothing , you have nothing to loose”… well you may think that.. but you carry the islands heart & its worth more then words or politics can express..

Keep being yourself & shinning bright.

why did you go public last year in the middle of a covert police investigation?

it is strange to accuse the “establishment” of a cover up when the Chief Minister would have needed to authorise the police investigation.

The words of The Chief Minister ring very hollow, the sincerety is expected but not quite believed – We have heard from two politicians let us now hear from the other 50 who almost to a man shunned Senator Syvret – the local media also shunned him – I remember the leader that was printed in the JEP following the aborted Christmas address to the house – do you?

8. Dan

In response to Ian Dickson,

Many of us ordinary people in Jersey, are angry and upset, and have been for decades, about the way this island is governed.

Shameful that it takes something as terrible as this, to put the local pseudo-government and the island’s administration in to the spotlight.

Let’s hope that something good will come out of this, that this will be the beginning of the end of the old establishment.

Senator Syvret is not a typical example of a Jersey politician. Most are millionaires and well established in the wealthier levels of our community.

Jersey only has a small pool of intelligent people but luckily Stuart Syvret is one of them. I certainly hope that more outside agencies are brought in to investigate the whole matter. I suspect that there has been a huge cover up involving local agencies.

Hopefully the powers that be will listen now eh Stuart. Both my brother and I are Jersey born and bred but we no longer live there. When we spoke about the Haut de la Garenne incident we said “it could only happen in Jersey”. Jersey is a law unto itself.

I believe there is only one brain cell throughout the States and I am not sure who is using it today, after listening to him on Radio 4 I am certain Frank doesn’t have it.

Julie

Whichever angle you come from, the last few days were momentous for Jersey. Not for our local press though, with last night’s editorial solely devoted to sympathy with a man with financial problems from a thwarted fireworks display. Perhaps the editor doesn’t follow international news

11. Survivors Swindon

Hi Stuart

My name is Steve Bevan and I run Survivors Swindon, which is regionally based here in mainland UK, but we reach all over the world, supporting adult male survivors of sexual abuse/rape

If I can offer support, in any way. please get in touch, via the website or telephone

Keep fighting back to expose this and all too often, society wants to close its eyes., ignore the problems and hope it goes away

Steve

12. Crapaud in exile

Listening to the Newsnight interview last night was interesting. At last someone had the balls to confront Walker instead of just brown nosing him. The Jersey Establishment often talks about the “damage” Stuart does to Jersey’s international reputation. Based on last night’s programme, it was clear that Walker was damaging the reputation far more by his foolish denials of his earlier comments.

13. Will Bentley

Hi Stuart,

I am writing to you from New Zealand where I have been since 1994. I was born in Jersey and lived there until I was 25. I met you a few times rock climbing. My family still live in jersey so I keep a close eye on how things have been going. I was so happy when you finally made it into the sytem. At last! I thought, hope for the island and its residence. some one with a heart who can make a difference! Someone with the intelligence to go up against outdated traditions that keep the mass controlled and Ignorant. Quietly from a far I have been watching your one man battle for integrity and truth. I was outraged today hearing and reading all the news of whats been happening in Jersey. I just wanted to offer my support. All great sages, and pioneers of change have gone up against the system. The have stood tall in the face of aversity as you are doing. Dont give up, there are so many people behind you. It takes great courage and you have it. As you said “nothing to loose’ but you have so much to gain not just for the people of Jersey. The humanity of the world needs one by one people to take a stand on what they know to be right. This is a lonely path not for the faint hearted, but this is how change starts one by one. When you have truth on your side there is nothing to fear!

Warmest Regards and best of luck (although you dont need it!)

Dellaina Van der leer (nee Mitchell)

14. Will Bentley

Hi Stuart,

I am writing to you from New Zealand where I have been since 1994. I was born in Jersey and lived there until I was 25. I met you a few times rock climbing. My family still live in jersey so I keep a close eye on how things have been going. I was so happy when you finally made it into the system. At last! I thought, hope for the island and its residence. some one with a heart who can make a difference! Someone with the intelligence to go up against outdated traditions that keep the mass controlled and Ignorant. Quietly from a far I have been watching your one man battle for integrity and truth. I was outraged today hearing and reading all the news of whats been happening in Jersey. I just wanted to offer my support. All great sages, and pioneers of change have gone up against the system. The have stood tall in the face of aversity as you are doing. Dont give up, there are so many people behind you. It takes great courage and you have it. As you said “nothing to loose’ but you have so much to gain not just for the people of Jersey. The humanity of the world needs one by one people to take a stand on what they know to be right. This is a lonely path not for the faint hearted, but this is how change starts one by one. When you have truth on your side there is nothing to fear!

Warmest Regards and best of luck (although you dont need it!)

Dellaina Van der leer (nee Mitchell)

15. ste

I hope this does not fall into the same conspiracy of silence that other cases fall into.

I have put this case on Malesrvivor forum in the states, so every survivor can read about it.

This case needs to be reviewed by an independent commission to find the facts, and not cover it up.

Let us not forget that we all have a duty to care for children, and abuse is the worst form of torture known to man.

I hope they can explain, why?
    You can lose your job for exposing the truth!

Good Kuck!

16. John Stevenson, London

Like one of your previous respondents said, I too, am not usually fulsome in priase of politicians but your courageous and exemplary stance in the pursuit of justice and a voice for the voiceless victims of abuse in Jersey is one that I admire and applaud.

17. PICKLES

AT LAST THE TRUTH IS OUT FOR PEOPLE TO SEE THAT SMIRKIN FRANK WALKER CARES ONLY FOR THE MONEY SIDE OF POLITICS.ARE YOU AWARE THAT ON FRIDAY BLANCHE PIERRE NURSERY WAS CLOSED DOWN. THIS WOULD APPEAR TO BE FOR FINANCIAL REASONS AS THE COMMITEE HAVE BEEN TRYING TO DO AWAY WITH THE NURSERY FOR SOME TIME AND WHAT BETTER TIME THAN A SCANDAL TO DO AWAY WITH A DRAIN ON RESOURCES . THE NURSERY PLAYS A VITAL ROLE FOR YOUNG CHILDRTEN AS YOU KNOW . WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO THESE CHILDREN NOW! ALL THE MEDIA I HAVE SEEN CLEARLY STATES THAT THE NURSERY WAS UNDER DIFFERENT MANAGEMENT/OWNERSHIP AT THE TIME OF THE ALLEGATIONS [SEVERAL OF THOSE INVOVED I KNOW PERSONALLY]SO THERE IS NO LINK TO THE CURRENT INVESTIGATION.I WISH YOU ALL THE BEST FOR THE TURBULENT TIMES AHEAD AND CONGRATULATE YOU FOR MAKING A STAND